Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How to Choose Chainmaille Jewelry

I buy handmade items to get better quality than the mass produced stuff you can find in any old store. I also love to be surprised by all the unique and wonderful items I find.
When I want to buy something I want to get the most bang for my buck. I'm not prone to impulse shopping. I want to get the most for my money and will research the heck out of anything I'm going to buy. So I got to thinking that I should let all my readers out there know how to choose good quality chainmaille jewelry.



Now most of the time when you think of chainmaille you think of knights in armor and swords or Renaissance Faires and people in costumes, but Chainmaille can make very beautiful and unique jewelry.

Before you buy chainmaille jewelry you need to know a little about how it's made to know how to choose your jewelry.

Chainmaille is composed of interlocking metal rings. There are two basic steps in making chainmaille: 1. Make rings, 2. Weave rings. Sounds simple right? That's what I thought too, but chainmaille can get pretty complicated. There are many weaves and variations on chainmaille. Some can be very simple and some can be very difficult.

The bracelet at the top of the page is a weave called jens pind linkage, a beautiful spiraling weave that took me three days, lots of cursing and tossing of rings before I mastered this weave.

I don't make my own rings, although I wold love to, I just don't have the space. So instead I purchase my rings already made. Choosing my supplier (that sounds so shady), was a time consuming process as I quickly learned all rings are not made equal.

As I go through this series of articles I will cover the many aspects involved in making chainmaille jewelry. I will cover the materials used, the quality of those materials. The time involved, and basic construction. Stay tuned, there's more good info to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment